Monday, September 21, 2009

What inspires me?

Welcome back, today we are discussing what inspires me. Or are we?

I have no inclination to what it is that inspires me to do whatever it is I do... I have an undying dream of succeeding in what I do in life, no matter what it is. When I was in elementary school it was making the A+ Honor Roll. In high school, it was excelling in sports and school. Now, it is to graduate with a degree and become a functioning member of society.

I would not venture to say I have a certain specific inspiration for seeking my media production degree, for I really have many. Like I said, I want to be succesful in a field I enjoy, I want to be able to provide for myself and others, and give a little bit of myself to everyone when I come into contact with them... This quote for example, exudes what I would consider inspiration to achieve my goals:
"I love being alive and will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it. I will seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
-- Duane Allman's Epitaph

It is hard for me to say what exactly inspires me visually to a point. I know what types of shots or genres I enjoy to see so that may be something that influences my approach behind the camera. But, I consider myself to be more of a shooting from the sleeve type of thinker, I like having somewhat of a preset plan in my head of what I want to achieve then just go out and do it without much thinking or reason than other me thinking it will look right. Some of my favorite movies are old gangster classics and film noir but then again I enjoy more modern day horror and thriller movies...


As long as we are talking about what inspires me, or lack there of, I think it is important for me to mention what music means to me... In a sense, music really inspires most everything I do in life. I am always listening to music of all kinds... I have my favorites like The Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic, and Phish. But I also listen to funk, jam, bluegrass, electronica, house, rap, r and b, jazz from all kinds of artists like James Brown, Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Kings of Leon, Yonder Mountain, Railroad Earth, Jay-Z, Prince, Disco Biscuits, etc, etc, and I could go on and on... So music plays a pivitol role in my life.

Some of my favorite pieces of "art" is album art off CDs from some of favorite bands. I would like to share those and my favorite quote from a few:
1.)

Quote, from "Built to Last" by The Grateful Dead: "There are times when you get hit upon, Try hard but you cannot give, Other times you'd gladly part, With what you need to live, Don't waste the breath to save your face, When you have done your best, And even more is asked of you, Let fate decide the rest."

2.)

Quote from "A Kiss Before I Go" by Ryan Adams: "And the pain in the morning comes as easy as it goes. Can't find the truth in a house of lies. And you can't see tomorrow with yesterday's eyes. One shot, one beer and a place where nobody cries."

3.)

Quote from "God Save the Queen" by the Sex Pistols: "When there's no future. How can there be sin. We're the flowers in the dustbin. We're the poison in your human machine. We're the future you're future."

4.)

Quote from Bob Dylan's song "Goin' to Acapulco" on The Basement Tapes album: "It's a wicked life but what the hell. The stars ain't fallin' down. I'm standing outside the Taj Mahal. I don't see no one around."

Okay, I tried to explore this topic. Hope you enjoyed reading everything and be sure to check out the movies and bands I mentioned in this blog.

Peace, love, and happieness to all.

--BB











No comments:

Post a Comment