Monday, September 7, 2009

Apocolypse Now, Opening Scene: Breakdown

So, as I sit here on my Labor Day wondering what to do... I remember that I have my blog to do and that it is due tomorrow. So, with it being a day of labor rememberance, lets labor.

For my breakdown today, I have chosen the first 2 or so minutes of one of my all time favorite flicks, Apocolypse Now.

First off I had to learn how to screenshot on PC as I am used to doing it in the video lab on the mac's with the screengrab, but I think I got it down. So here it goes...

The opening scene is set in Vietnam... you cant hear anything until about ten seconds in you begin to hear what sounds like helicopters in the distance...
A chopper passes by and your thoughts are confirmed... The scene is held in this still shot as the area around it begins to see changes...

After the chopper passes by, you see the dust settle and napalm rise up to the point that it consumes the screen and becomes the only visible thing on screen. Also, around the :30 mark, the music of The Doors' The End begins playing. This change in the color of the Vietnamese landscape to the bright orange glow of the napalm is dynamic shift in perception and focal point. To go along with the change in scene, the music creates a different feeling amongst the viewers with the dreariness of the words and Jim Morrison's voice. (A truly fitting song for the opening scene of this movie!)
You continue to hear the music and the choppers in the background as the napalm continues to rise. Then at the 1:10 mark, the bombs are dropped and we are reminded of the damage done in Vietnam. This chilling reminder is stunning but the viewer is still unaware of exactly the are seeing for the hold on the scene has remained the same through the first minute and fifteen seconds... leaving the viewer on edge to find out what is going on.

So, the carnage continues and you see all of the destruction being done. But I feel the story is not only told viually at this point but also audibly. Read the lyrics from The End and you can really feel what is going on. They go as follows: "This is the end. Beautiful friend. This is the end. My only friend, the end."

This next scene comes at the 1:42 mark. The battle scene fades and there becomes a duel image layout with the first scene we have been seeing going on in the background but now the image Capt. Williard is intertwined with the shot and you see him laying in bed thinking (or dreaming) and you become disassociated as a viewer. You now begin to think that you are seeing his dreams as he lays in bed or is it flashbacks to his first tour of duty? You just dont know.

I love this scene because Martin Sheen's face is upside down on screen allowing it to be the focal point but not distract too much from the battle still raging in the background. The lighting falls where his eyes are lit and you can see the cold grayness in them. As he smokes his cigarette the billowing smoke creates a foggy POV and really just establishes a nice shot.

For the last scene, I would like to use the image of Capt. Williard still upside down on screen but with the image of his ceiling fan in the background. This scene creates the sense that the sound of helicopters we heard earlier was just his fan the whole time and it was just a dream.

My screenshot does not really do it justice, but I promise it is more clear in the movie and it creates said feelings I mentioned.
OKAY, so that was my attempt at a scene breakdown so I hope you enjoyed it. I know I could talk more about the lighting and what not but I dont fully understand all aspects of achieving certain "looks" with different lighting, but hey, thats why we have Dr. R to teach us.
So, since we are on the topic of Apocolypse Now... I will use the first words uttered by Capt. Williard as my routine quote:
Williard: "Saigon... shit; I'm still only in Saigon... Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the jungle."

Thanks for coming out folks. Have a great day. Peace.
-BB

No comments:

Post a Comment